Sunday, February 8, 2009

Non-violence

In an attempt at making peace, in 1991 Mother Teresa wrote this to George Bush and Saddam Hussein:

"I beg you with my whole heart to work for, to labor for God's peace and to be reconciled with one another. In the short term there may be winners and losers in this war that we all dread, but that never can, nor never will justify the suffering, pain, and loss of life which your weapons will cause. Please choose the way of peace. You may win the war but what will the cost be on people who are broken, disabled, and lost?"

"Many peoples shall come and say, 'Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; that he may teach us his ways and that we may walk in his paths.' For out of Zion shall go forth instruction, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. He shall judge between the nations, and shall arbitrate for many peoples; they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruning hooks; nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war anymore."
-Isaiah 2:3-4 (NRSV)

3 comments:

Boy and Girl said...

She was a remarkably wise woman.

-Lindsey

Seth said...

True that. I have two books with excerpts in them from things that she wrote and they are, in a word, brilliant.

Boy and Girl said...

I have heard a lot about one book in particular, "In My Own Words" which is supposedly impressively profound. I figure one of these days I'll get around to reading it. Sooner than later I hope...

-Lindsey