Tuesday, October 7, 2008

"Sell Yourself!"

Something has been heavy on my heart for several weeks now.

About two weeks ago there was a career fair in the engineering department here are NC State. For those two days everyone was dressed in suits and nice pants and ties and the whole works. It was a pretty eye opening two days for me. As I looked around at the people dressed so nicely I began to think about childhood and the things we all learn to be crucial to our being. One of these things was a little saying that went a little something like, "Be yourself". It's so weird to me that at some place between college and adulthood, this turns into "Sell yourself". Is this really necessary?

I don't have answers for that question. As a matter of fact, I struggle with this everyday. It is my prayer daily that God shape my life and use me but it seems that if I were to sell myself to any individual other than God, this would contradict the fact that we are to live our lives solely for God. I want my every move to bring praise to God's name so how do I live a life where I am only trying to please employers or anyone else for that matter?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I guess the main thing to remember that in a field as lucrative as computer engineering...that it's not a bad thing to make money. Money is not evil...the LOVE of money is what is evil.

I understand that this was not your main point, but it is def. something worth thinking about.

If you don't want to make a lot of money give it away to charity...or use it to fund a trip overseas to help the poor. I just don't believe in wasting talent because you hate money...use money for good and money is good...use money as evil and it is evil...

just my opinion.